Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Harrold > 77 and 79 High Street Harrold

77 and 79 High Street Harrold

77-79 High Street 1962
77 and 79 High Street in 1962 [Z53/54/38]

77 and 79 High Street were listed by the former Department of Environment in 1984 as Grade II (of special interest); they were considered to be late 18th or early 19th century. They are built of coursed limestone rubble and have slate roofs with stone gable coping - they are two storeyed.

In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting 77 High Street [DV1/C71/147] noted that the owner and occupier was George Manton. His premises comprised a parlour, and kitchen downstairs, two bedrooms and a box room above. There was also a chemist's shop measuring 10 feet by 13 feet with "no front"; over a passage was a room measuring 3 feet by 18 feet. The valuer stated "Compare C70/59 [118 High Street]. Very similar. This has no barn & has factory right at back".

79 High Street [DV1/C71/148] was owned and occupied by Mrs.M.Betts and contained two parlours and a kitchen. Upstairs were three bedrooms. Outside was a barn and earth closet.