Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Harrold > 48 High Street Harrold

48 High Street Harrold

48 High Street in 1962 Z53-54-27
48 High Street in 1962 [Z53/54/27]

48 High Street was listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II (of special interest), it was considered to be 18th century. It is constructed, like most of the older properties in Harrold, of coursed limestone rubble which has been lime covered and colour-washed white. It has two storeys and the main house has a thatched roof whilst the later, right hand extension, formerly a separate dwelling, has a pantiled roof.

In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating & Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting 48 High Street [DV1/C71/32] noted that the owner was Miss Ashwell [Kelly's Directory for 1928 lists a Miss Laura Ashwell who kept a fancy repository, in other words an outlet for fancy goods] and occupier H.Hulatt. He remarked: "was 2 cottages end of row of 3". The cottage comprised a living room, kitchen and store downstairs, with three bedrooms above and a brick and tile barn and washhouse ("good"), but no garden, outside. The valuer was not impressed, he further remarked: "Poor. Was 2 cottages, one Ground floor room only a store".

48 High Street May 2008
48 High Street in May 2008