1 The Green Harrold
1 The Green and 47 High Street in July 2008
1 and 3 The Green were both listed by the former Department of Environment in 1964 as Grade II (of special interest). They are early 19th century in origin and are built, like most of the older properties in Harrold, of coursed limestone rubble. They have a Welsh slate roof. They comprise two storeys.
Valuers map showing extent of 1 The Green in 1927
In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting 1 The Green [DV1/C71/107-108] noted that it was owned and occupied by John F.le Fevre - who owned the whole row from 1 to 11. The property had a significant number of outbuildings to the rear as shown on the valuer's map - everything coloured green and numbered 107. The house then included the current 47 High Street.
Caleb le Fevre and family outside the shop in 1897 [Z50/545/16]
The property comprised a living room, parlour, kitchen, scullery, pantry and washhouse downstairs with four bedrooms and a box room above. There was also a shop measuring 20 feet by 12 feet and an office measuring 13 feet by 3½ feet as le Fevre was a butcher. Outside were a barn and earth closet and a number of blocks of buildings as follows (all noted as "Rather poor" and also "very poor" - the valuer obviously liked the places less the more he saw):
- a brick and slate stable used as a lumber barn, fodder house and cow pen with a loft over all three compartments;
- a brick, wood and iron barn and poultry house;
- a wood and iron coach house, three bay open hovel and garage;
- a brick and slate salt house and harness room;
- a brick and thatch stable and slaughterhouse measuring 12 feet square;
- a brick and slate tarp hovel with a loft over
47 High Street and 1 The Green July 2008