Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Harrold > 119 and 121 High Street Harrold

119 and 121 High Street Harrold

119 and 121 High Street in 1963
119 and 121 High Street in 1963 [Z53/54/40]

119 and 121 High Street were listed by the former Department of Environment as Grade II (or special interest); they were thought to be 18th century. Like most of the older properties in Harrold they are built of coursed limestone rubble; today they have a concrete tile roof; they comprise two storeys with attics - the ground floor windows are 20th century, the porches are 19th.

119 and 121 High Street in May 2008
119 and 121 High Street in May 2008

In 1927 property in Harrold was valued under the Rating Valuation Act of 1925; every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The valuer visiting 119 High Street (then called Westfields) [DV1/C72/21] noted that the Misses Bird owned it and that it was occupied by a Miss Bird. It stood in 0.350 acres and comprised two reception rooms and a scullery downstairs, with, on the first floor, three bedrooms, and on the second floor, two attics; outside were a barn and garden. Also outside, but unused, were a store, two wood and corrugated iron open sheds, a wood and tile engineer's shop, a brick and tile earth closet, an office, a washhouse and a wood and corrugated iron store

121 High Street [DV1/C72/22] was, again, owned by the Misses Bird but occupied by a Mrs.Lucas. It comprised two reception rooms and a scullery, on the first floor two bedrooms and on the second floor two attics; outside were a barn and garden.