Dean House 21 Pavenham Road
This page was written by Pam Hider
Pavenham Road c.1916, Dean House on right [Z1306/25/4/2]
The Historic Environment Record for Bedfordshire describes Dean House as follows:
"C18 house. Coursed limestone rubble. Old clay tile roof with stone gable coping. Symmetrical 3-window bay plan. Gable end chimney stacks. Two storeys and attics. S.W. elevation: two C20 roof lights. First floor has three C20 leaded-light casements. Ground floor two leaded casements flanking central doorway with C19 gabled, bracketed doorhood. Ground floor window heads have keystones."
As yet, the 18th and 19th century history of this house remains a mystery. The earliest mention in our records is 1910 when it was occupied by Elizabeth Mole and owned by Charles Franklin "per Mrs Mole" (DBV1/25 & map DBV3/74). Charles may have been her son, as on the 1911 Census, she is with another son William Franklin Mole aged 51, and she is described as a widow aged 78.
The next mention is in 1927 when property in Carlton was valued under the Rating and Valuation Act 1925 (DV1/C218). Every piece of land and building in the country had to be valued to determine the rates to be paid upon it. The interior was described as follows:
2 reception rooms, kitchen & scullery, stairs to 2 bedrooms & bathroom - the Valuer had written "old but has bath". On the second floor were 2 small attics. The Valuer had also written "new windows going in" to the property and "On Road. Attractive. Cottage at Rear". He also noted a barn. Outside was described as having an open hovel as small garage and 2 derelict pig sties (a hovel could mean a shed, usually for animals) and was "Apparently not to be judged by outside appearance. Situation not very nice. Cottage at rear". The Valuer described the outside as "good". The cottage at the rear had a living room and kitchen and stairs to 2 bedrooms. It was listed as "Poor". The Valuer described it as "Awful". At the time of this valuation, the owner was Mrs.E.P.Davis; the occupier of the house was B.Davis and the tenant of the cottage was A.T.Moye. B.Davis was still there in 1934 but now with his wife, Hilda Davis. 1935 marked the first mention of the name "Deane Cottage".
From 1936 - 1952 the house was owned and occupied by the Harper family and also operated as a retirement home, with 5 clients in 1936 and 9 clients in 1937 and was now named "Deane House" (Electoral Rolls).
In 1952, the house was bought then sold (in 1958) by Mrs.Constance Garner. The sales particulars (Z938/6/11/5) included the following description: "Charming old stone/tile house of great character, retaining many of its original features, metal windows and latches, exposed beams, old fireplaces, etc. and in excellent condition. South-west aspect, and all rooms have sunshine". Detailed descriptions of the interior show how the house had been modernised over the years and was wired for electricity. It was also connected to all main services. A further description tells us that "The house forms part of a 2 acre property, which includes a 3 bedroom cottage at the rear, and field in which are 2 green-houses and various poultry buildings." The cottage at the rear had always been occupied by tenants until this time (1950s) when the tenant purchased it along with the field and it became known as Dean House Cottage (later being known simply as 21a Pavenham Road).
From 1961 - 72, the Denson family owned the house and from 1973 - c.2000, the Darlington family were the owners. It is thanks to Mr.B Darlington that we have a charming postscript to this page. In 1998, Carlton & Chellington History Society was proposing a talk on the history of these two villages and members were asked what they knew of the history of their homes. Mr. Darlington wrote "Dene House 21 Pavenham Road partly built from the Dutch Owners of Woollen Boat following the banning of Woollen Imports to protect our own sheep farmers. Apparently these Dutch Boars used to sail up the Ouse as far as Bedford. The floors of house are made with timbers from Ships deck. Brook Darling. March 98". The banning of imported wool was made by a Sovereign Edict in the 18th century.
Dean House June 2018