Carpenters Arms Beerhouse Carlton
This page was written by Pamela Hider
The former Carpenters' Arms in 1962 [Z53/25/11]
The Carpenters' Arms Beerhouse: 17 The Marsh, Carlton
A 17th century house, with a large barn and considerable acreage to the rear, suggests this building was a farmhouse. No records of it exist before the 1830s, by which time the Enclosure Act (1806) had become well established.
A change of use (or perhaps a sideline) came about in 1869 when a licence was granted for use as a beerhouse. An alehouse register of 1876 [CL/P19/1] shows the licensee to be Charles Rudd (aged 58), a carpenter and beer retailer. He was there until his death in 1891. A register of that year [CL/P19/2/1] describes business at the Carpenters' Arms as "on and off without wine licence".
During the next 20 years, Alfred Allen was the beer retailer. A register of alehouse licences in 1901 [PSS3/1] had referred to there being "no sign". By 1903 business was still being described as "on and off", but noted that the alehouse had been licensed prior to 1869 [CL/P20]. In 1910, the rateable value was assessed as £12 (DBV/1/25). Mr.Allen died in 1911 and the next beer retailer was to be the last.
William Mole took over in 1911, but by now the beerhouse's days were numbered. The register PSS3/3 states "renewal 12/3/13, not proceeded with" and "renewal 6/2/14, renewal refused 26/12/14".
Throughout its 45 year tenure, Hipwell & Company had been the brewers. The tenure may have been relatively short, but the Carpenters' Arms seems to have served a need within its small community e.g. the rear fields were rented out as allotments and tradition has it that "after an evening working on their allotments, the local men would go to the Carpenters' Arms and sit round the inglenook fireplace with their pints" [Z1521/1 (October 1994)]. The Rudds were well known in the village as carpenters and also, the fact that the only two main licensees were each there for 20 years, shows how intimate a place it must have been - a home from home. It is probably no accident that it closed in the year of the first Great War.
By 1928, it had become a private residence and the land let to a local farmer.
Former Carpenters' Arms (now Stonehaven) December 2018
List of licensees:
Charles Rudd: 1869 - 1891;
Alfred Allen: 1891 - 1911;
William Mole: 1911 - 1914.
- as listed above plus census and Kelly's Directories.