Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Well Head in 1829

Well Head in 1829

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. 

Well Head is now in the parish of Eaton Bray.

Well Head in 1829 [BW1004]

Well Head in 1829 [BW1004]

The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the map.

  • 3: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by ThomasRoom; 16 poles;
  • 4: Two Cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Cartwright; occupied by Thomas Landon and Stewart Osborn; 16 poles.