Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Church End in 1829

Church End in 1829

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps.

Church End in 1829 v2

Church End in 1829 [BW1004] (click for larger version)

  • 13: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Henry Purton; 15 poles;

Wishing Well Cottage February 2010

  • 20: Two cottages, barn and garden; owned by Rev. Wroth; occupied by James Purton, William East and Rev. Wroth; 2 roods, 13 poles [4 The Ride];
  • 23: Old Vicarage House and garden; owned by the church as glebe; occupied by Samuel Heles; 1 rood, 21 poles [at the junction of The Ride and Church Road - now demolished];

Church Farm August 2009

  • 25: Farm yard, building, house, garden and orchard; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 1 acre, 2 roods, 1 pole [Church Farm];

33 Church Road January 2010

  • 26: Baker's shop, two cottages, yard, buildings and garden; owned by John Purton; occupied by Jeffrey Blinklow, Mark Bligh and Thomas Kimpson; 24 poles [33 Church Road];
  • 28: Two dwelling houses, sheds, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Osborn; occupied by John Purton and Mary Scott; 36 poles;

The former Old Bell Public House January 2010

  • 29: Old Bell Public House, yard, buildings and orchard; owned by Mr. Burr [the Luton brewer]; occupied by Samuel Heles; 25 poles [29 Church Road];
  • 31: Farm house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Dunstable Charity; occupied by John Purton; 2 roods, 15 poles [now Lockington Farm];
  • 32: Two cottages, garden etc.; owned by Thomas Wallduck; occupied by Thomas Wallduck and Thomas Smith; 20 poles;

31 Church Road - Pear Tree Cottage February 2010

  • 33: Dwelling house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by Benjamin Purton; 26 poles [31 Church Road];

28 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 35: Two cottages, yard and garden; owned by Daniel Twidel; occupied by James Seabrook and William Kempson; 15 poles [28 Wellhead Road];
  • 37: Two cottages, yard, barn, wood barn and garden; owned by Mr. Willis; occupied by William Fulks and William King; 19 poles;

36 Wellhead Road August 2009

  • 38: Two cottages, wood barn and garden; owned by Mr. Willis; occupied by William Cook and George Gates; 30 poles [36 Wellhead Road];
  • 40: Two cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by William Turner and Susan Healey; 12 poles;

35 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 41: Two cottages and garden; owned by Daniel Twidel; occupied by J. King and Stephen Hutchen; 14 poles [35 Wellhead Road];

3 Wellhead Road January 2010

  • 42: Two cottages and garden; owned by Henry Snoxell; occupied by J. Snoxell and Mary Snoxell; 14 poles [3 Wellhead Road];
  • 43: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by James Pratt; occupied by William Pratt; 1 rood 22 poles;
  • 43a: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by George Kempson; occupied by George Kempson; 20 poles;
  • 45: Cottage, blacksmith's shop and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by James Janes and William Seabrook; 7 poles;

7 Church Road February 2010

  • 46: Meeting House Cottage and garden; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by Geary Tompkins; 9 poles [7 Church Road];

Green Farm February 2010

  • 47 and 48: Two cottages, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by Thomas Turvey; occupied by William Inwood, John Puddephat and Thomas Turvey; 2 roods [Green Farm now occupies the site];
  • 49: Dwelling house, yard, buildings, garden and orchard; owned by John Turvey; occupied by James Morgan; 1 rood, 8 poles;
  • 49a: Cottage, wood barn and garden; owned by John Turvey; occupied by Jeremiah Purton; 7 poles;
  • 50: Farm house, yard, buildings, rick yard and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidel; 2 roods, 20 poles [the Old Farm Public House now stands on part of the site];

The Briars February 2010

34 Church Green January 2010

  • 54: Farm house, yard, buildings, rick yard, garden, etc.; owned by Mr. Stonnel; occupied by Mr. Stonnel; 1 acre, 22 poles [Orchard House occupies part of the site];
  • 56: Farm house, yard, buildings, orchard and garden; owned by Robert Pratt senior; occupied by Robert Pratt senior; 1 rood, 19 poles;
  • 60: Cottage and garden; owned by Mr. Stonnel; occupied by William Kingstone; 6 poles;
  • 61: Cottage and garden; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by Richard Dudley; 10 poles;
  • 64: Cottage, barn, stable, yard and garden; owned by G. Buckmaster; occupied by Daniel Holt; 21 poles;
  • 65: Cottage, wood house and garden; owned by John Fulks; occupied by John Fulks; 2 poles;
  • 66: Four cottages, wood house, yard and garden; owned by Benjamin Purton; occupied by J. Kemp, W. Jeffs, W. Harrowel and Benjamin Bliss; 15 poles;

Lancotbury January 2010

  • 67: Farm house, yard, buildings and garden; owned by Mr. Hunt; occupied by Daniel Twidel; 2 roods, 15 poles [now Lancotbury].

Houses between Church End and Middle End

Houses between Middle End and Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

Houses between Middle End and Church End in 1829 [BW1004]

  • 76: Three cottages and garden; owned by Totternhoe Parish; occupied by Mark Abram, William Fowler and Elizabeth Foster; 18 poles;
  • 83: Cottage, yard and barn; owned by John Varney; occupied by John Reeves; 24 poles.

The Corner of Green Lane [now in Dunstable]

The pest house in 1829 [BW1004]

The pest house in 1829 [BW1004]

  • 1: Pest House and garden; owned by the Countess of Bridgewater; occupied by George Fossey; 2 roods, 24 poles.

Cottages South-East of the Church [now demolished]

Cottages south-east of the church in 1829 [BW1004]

Cottages south-east of the church in 1829 [BW1004]

  • 11. Two cottages and garden; owned by Mr. Twidel; occupied by R. Brooks and Benjamin Bligh; 31 poles.