Mulberry Cottage - 14 Apsley End Road Shillington
14 Apsley End Road April 2015
Mulberry Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 18th century and is of timber-framed construction with red brick infill and a thatched roof. The original cottage had two rooms on the ground floor with attics above. The property stands gable end on to the road. A single storey block was added in the 20th century at a right angle to the original cottage and to the north-east of it, with a small block linking the two.
The cottage formed part of the united manors of Shillington alias Aspley Bury and Aspley alias Aspley Bury. Sale particulars for these from November 1898 included a considerable amount of land in various parts of the parish comprising in all 842 acres [BS782]. Lot 5 included 8 and 14 Apsley End Road. Number 14 was described as a cottage in occupation of Richard Davis whose rent was £4/5/- per annum.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Mulberry Cottage in February 1927 [DV1/C62/100] found it in a "very bad state of repair – condemnable – being repaired" and noting it was "very old". It was owned by Sir James Hill and occupied by W Hinge at a rent of £4/15/- per annum. The valuer commented that it "looks like" three rooms down and three bedrooms above (as we have seen at this time it is likely still to have had just two rooms). A later hand noted: "recently done up. Half-timber work. £8 total". A lean-to barn stood outside.