Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Shillington > 79 Upton End Road Shillington

79 Upton End Road Shillington

79 Upton End Road April 2015
79 Upton End Road April 2015

79 Upton End Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The house dates from the 17th century, though reworked in the 19th century and is a substantial, timber-framed structure, though the front elevation was encased in brick in the 19th century. The roof is thatched. 20th century extensions project northwards at both gable ends.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [Dv1/C74/13] found it was part of the Manor of Shillington and owned by the lady of the manor. The occupier was H Fossey who paid rent of £16 per annum, which included a homestead and two grass fields totalling 1.944 acres. Pre-war rent had been £14.

The valuer commented: "One end weatherboarded". The house comprised a living room, a kitchen and two large bedrooms. Outside stood a thatched barn, later converted into a garage.  The homestead comprised: a wood and corrugated iron stable for two horses; a chaff house; a cart shed; a piggery; a loose box; a cart shed and barn and a granary ("good").