71 Hillfoot Road Shillington
71 Hillfoot Road July 2015
71 Hillfoot Road used to be a butcher's shop. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the shop [DV1/C74/48] found that the owner-occupier was Mrs C Palmer. The property comprised two living rooms, a kitchen, a scullery and four bedrooms. Outside stood a washhouse, a brick, wood and tiled stable, a piggery (used as a cowhouse), two loose boxes, a chaff house, a granary, a lean-to fasting pen and slaughter house - all "not used". The valuer commented: "was butcher's shop"
The directories list other Palmers who were butchers. George Palmer is listed at Apsley End in 1877, 1885 and 1890 and Frank Palmer is listed in 1898, 1903, 1906, 1914, 1920 and 1928. James Palmer is listed in 1877 and 1890 and John Palmer in 1894, 1898, 1903, 1906, 1910, 1914, 1920 and 1924.