42 Church Street Shillington
42 Church Street March 2014
42 Church Street was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 16th century, though altered in the 19th century. It is of timber-framed construction though the ground floor at the front has been rebuilt in red brick. The building has clay tiled roofs and is built in a T-plan with two storeys. The right hand side is jettied, that is, the first floor overhangs the ground floor slightly.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C75/23] found it owned and occupied by baker Frank W Ingrey Living accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and three bedrooms. The shop measured 15 feet 6 inches by 14 feet . The bakehouse was 18 feet 6 inches by 14 feet with a loft over and containing a six bushel oven. Other outbuildings included a wood and corrugated iron garage, three loose boxes, two piggeries and a further small garage. There was also a wood and tiled cart shed, washhouse and mill with a loft over.
Directories for Bedfordshire were not published every year but every few years from the early to mid-19th century until 1940. Frank Ingrey is first listed in the directory for 1898 and last listed in 1928. The next directory, 1931, lists Reginald H and Norman F Ingrey as bakers. They are both listed in the last directory for the county in 1940.