24 Apsley End Road Shillington
24 Apsley End Road April 2015
24 Apsley End Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in July 1975 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century and has a timber-framed construction with colourwashed plaster infill, though the ground floor was rebuilt in the 19th century in red brick. It has a clay tile roof and comprises two storeys. The left-hand block is slightly higher. The house was extended in the 20th century by one room to right-hand side in a similar style. There is also a two-storeyed garage addition to left-hand side.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage in 1926 [DV1/C62/90] found that the owners were the trustees of W Pettengell and the occupier S Cooper whose rent was £18 per annum (up from £14 from 1915, previously £10). This included 2½ acres of land adjoining.
The property comprised a living room, two kitchens and a scullery, with three bedrooms upstairs. A later hand has annotated the entry by mentioning a wood and corrugated iron garage with an open front measuring 10 feet by 12 feet.