Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clophill > Sources for Education in Clophill

Sources for Education in Clophill

Saint Mary's Lower School February 2010
Saint Mary's Lower School February 2010

The following sources for the history of education in Clophill are all held at Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Some of the more recent records which contain personal information will be closed under the Data Protection Act.

  • P45/29/1: gift of a site for a school: 1630;
  • P45/1/4: parish happenings including references to the schools: 1799-1853;
  • P45/29/17: Sunday School Scrapbook: 1826-1861;
  • P45/29/2: conveyance of a site for the school: 1836;
  • P45/29/3: plans and elevations of the school: c. 1836;
  • P45/1/28: references to the school in the service register: 1841-1960;
  • P45/29/4: Sunday School registers: 1843-1869;
  • P45/0/19: list of parishioners attending the school: 1847-1859;
  • P45/29/5: list of names of boys in Class II: 1856-1877;
  • P45/29/6: list of names of boys at the school: 1859-1899;
  • P45/0/20: index and lists of parishioners attending the school: 1860-1881;
  • P45/2/11: list of girls in Class III: 1862-1878;
  • P45/29/7: list of names of boys at the school: 1868-1872;
  • P45/29/12: list of girls at the school: 1868-1872;
  • P45/29/25: correspondence regarding the proposed new school: 1870-1872;
  • P45/29/22: conveyance of the land for the new school: 1871;
  • P45/29/24-25: Clophill National School plans and elevations: 1871;
  • P45/29/26: printed form of service for the opening of the new school: 1872;
  • Micf 38/15: microfilm of volume 1 of the school logbook: 1872-1905;
  • 45/29/8: "Clophill Boys School" with pencil notes on pupils: 1872-1875;
  • Micf 38/15: microfilm of the Mixed School admission register: 1872-1875;
  • P45/29/13: list of girls at the school: 1872-1875;
  • P45/29/9: Notes on boys at the school: 1875-1888;
  • P45/29/14: list of girls at the school: 1875-1878;
  • Z145/92: Inspector's report: 1876;
  • P45/29/15: list of girls at the school: 1878-1896;
  • P45/29/10: notes on boys at the school: 1889-1903;
  • P45/29/27: minutes of Clophill National School Committee: 1889-1903;
  • P45/29/16: Clophill Sunday School register with list of girls' names: 1896-1903
  • Z50/31/33: photograph of the village showing the school: c. 1900;
  • Z50/31/59: postcard of the schools: c. 1900;
  • E/SA3/1/2: managers' and inspector's reports: 1903;
  • P45/29/33: letters from the Board of Finance regarding Poor's Estate: 1903-1904;
  • P45/29/11: three letters about the school: 1903-1929;
  • P45/29/21: use of the old school room: 1903-1929;
  • P45/29/28: school managers' minute book: 1903-1953;
  • P45/29/29: school managers' attendance book: 1903-1946;
  • E/TE5/2: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • P45/25/20: Poor's Estate Educational Foundation printed scheme: 1905;
  • Micg 38/15: microfilm of volume 2 of the school logbook: 1905-1927;
  • P45/25/21: conveyance of land for use of the school if desired: 1906;
  • E/TE5/4: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • Z50/31/90-91: photographs of schoolchildren: 1909;
  • E/IN1/1: inspector's reports: 1911-1938;
  • Micf 38/15: microfilm of the Infants' School logbook: 1911-1924;
  • P45/29/30: account book: 1917-1960;
  • Z50/31/60: postcard of the schools: 1920s;
  • Z50/142/292: group photograph of children: 1920s;
  • CCE1523-1524: title deeds: 1920-1996;
  • P45/29/34: correspondence regarding religious instruction: 1923;
  • P45/29/33: correspondence regarding provision of a wireless set: 1925;
  • Micf 38/15: microfilm of volume 3 of the school logbook: 1927-1956;
  • Z50/142/291: group photograph of senior scholars: 1929;
  • P45/2/11: conveyace of part of the school gardens: 1930;
  • P45/29/35: appointment of a principal teacher: 1932;
  • P45/29/36: duplicate agreement to admit a supplementary teacher: 1938;
  • P45/29/38: administration file: 1947-c. 1957;
  • P45/29/37: correspondence regaring appointment of a headmistress: 1950;
  • P45/29/39: school insurance policy: 1955;
  • P45/29/31: Clophill School Managers' Account: 1958;
  • CA2/13: building contract for additional land for the school: 1958-1966;
  • P45/29/31a: Clophill School Managers' Account: 1959;
  • CA2/228: right of way to the playing field: 1966;
  • CA8/1089: building maintenance file: 1966-1980;
  • CA8/724: building maintenance file: 1967-1975;
  • CA2/659: plans of the site for the new lower school: 1968-1972;
  • PCClophill26/2: "Stop Clophill School" booklet: 1969;
  • AO/C9/11: compensation file regarding the extension of the school site: 1971;
  • CCE3012: title deeds to the playing field: 1971-1996;
  • CA2/922: new school project file, Phase 2 construction: 1974-1982;
  • PCClophill26/1: correspondence and minutes regarding the rebuilding of the school: 1975-1977;
  • E/TE3/4: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/TE3/7: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/2: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • P45/29/42: Charity Commission Order vesting the school premises in the Saint Albans Diocesan Board of Finance: 1992;
  • E/Pu4/4/119: school prospectus: 1995.