Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clophill > Clophill Mill House

Clophill Mill House

The Mill House was listed by English Heritage in June 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. They ascribed the building to the early 19th century. It is built of gault brick with a clay tile roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting the Mill house noted that it was, like the mill itself, owned by George Course, who was in occupation [DV1/C288/63].

The brick and tiled, detached building stood in just under half an acre. The ground floor comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen, pantry and scullery ("small"). Three bedrooms and a boxroom lay upstairs. Outside lay a brick and tile garage and a brick and tile range comprising a washhouse, store, coal barn and earth closet. The valuer commented: "Nice front, footbridge"; "No Bath" and "Very nice indeed".