Clophill Before 1086
Perhaps surprisingly, the area in and around the village of Clophill does not have a wealth of sites and finds associated with the time before the Norman Conquest. The following information is taken from the Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER], which is now available on-line as part of the Heritage Gateway website.
The earliest known finds from Clophill (as opposed to Beadlow, which has Mesolithic material and Cainhoe which has Neolithic material) are some undated cropmarks south-east of Pedley Wood [HER 16705]. They run along the top of the ridge and seem to show a rectangular enclosure.
The Viatores, a group dedicated to finding Roman roads in the modern landscape, have suggested that Clophill lies along an east-west road running through Dunton, Edworth, Astwick, Biggleswade, Langford, Henlow, Clifton, Shefford and Campton then on to Maulden, Flitwick, Steppingley, Eversholt, Ridgmont and Husborne Crawley [HER 5342].
Though this road must remain speculative there have been two small finds of Roman material in Clophill. A 4th century radiate coin was found in the village [HER 3650] and, in 1973, two fragments of Roman tile and brick [HER 11269].
A small Anglo-Saxon bronze brooch was found on the allotments in the village [HER 15969]. It dates to the late 6th century (550-600) and has a plain head with three concave sides and a small square round panel above the bow. Below the bow the brooch borders out to form a pair of stubby semi-circular wings which are separated from the foot by three transverse ribs.