91 High Street Clophill
91 High Street - Church House February 2010
This attractive 19th century property stands near the church, hence its name.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 91 High Street found that it was called Church House and was owned and occupied by H. Willison [DV1/C47/46].
The brick and tiled detached building comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and brick and slate pantry downstairs with three bedrooms above and an attic above that. Outside stood a weather-boarded and tiled barn, a brick and corrugated iron earth closet and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron washhouse. Adjacent stood a large weather-boarded and corrugated two bay barn with a loft over half of it ("1 bay sometimes used as stable"), three weather-boarded and tiled hen houses and a brick unheated glasshouse measuring 19 feet 6 inches by 8 feet.