7 High Street Clophill
The Croft - 7 High Street March 2010
7 High Street, The Croft, was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They considered the building to be a mid 18th century reworking of an earlier 18th century house with an earlier, possibly 17th century block, on the right hand side.
The main body of the house used to be timber-framed but was rebuilt in brick laid in a header bond, using vitrified bricks with red brick dressings. The right hand block is still colourwashed roughcast render over a timber frame. The roofs are 20th century tiles throughout.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 7 High Street, even known as The Croft [DV1/C46/23] noted that it was owned and occupied by H. H. Green and that it used to be a shop.
The brick and tiled, detached property stood in just less than half an acre and comprised a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs with three bedrooms above and two attics above that. Outside stood a brick and slate earth closet and a brick and slate range comprising coal barn, garage ("two seater") and tool shed with a loft over. The valuer commented: "Nice, but converted premises and right on Road". He also noted: "One bedroom in roof. Nice Garden".
7 High Street - The Croft March 2010