7 and 9 The Green Clophill
7 and 9 The Green February 2010
7 and 9 The Green were listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They dated them to about 1700. They are of a timber-framed construction - Number 7 has a 19th century colourwashed brick casing and Number 9 has colourwashed plaster infill. Both lay under a clay tiled roof.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 7 and 9 The Green [DV1/C46/8-9] noted that they were part of a terrace called Sunnyside Cottages, owned by the Misses Hyde.
Number 7 was let to Mrs. F. Wilden at a rent of £1/19/6 per quarter (it had been £1/16/- before the Great War). The brick and tiled premises comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs, with a cellar "used for coal". Two bedrooms lay above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and tiled barn. The valuer commented: "Enormous slope at back" and also, intriguingly "Used to be pub". It may, just possibly, have been the Talbot, which was described, in the 17th century, as standing near Clophill Bridge.
Number 9 was let to Mrs. A. Stevens at a rent of £5/10/- per annum (it had been £5 before the Great War). This cottage comprised a living room, parlour ("used lumber") and scullery ("very small") downstairs with two bedrooms above. A weather-boarded and tiled earth closet lay outside. Again the valuer commented: "Used to be pub" and "Enormous slope at back" as well as "Very old".