Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clophill > 5 High Street Clophill

5 High Street Clophill

5 High Street in 1973 [Z50/31/13]
5 High Street in 1973 [Z50/31/13]

5 High Street, then called Long Cottage, was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They deemed it an 18th century house and noted that it was constructed of colourwashed roughcast over a timber frame and had a thatched roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 5 High Street [DV1/C46/22] noted that it was owned and occupied by D. Roberts.

The brick and thatched detached property comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery downstairs as well as a store room. Two bedrooms lay in the roof as well as a further bedroom which was disused. Outside stood a corrugated iron earth closet, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn and two weather-boarded and corrugated iron pigsties used for lumber. The valuer commented: "Very, very big but two bedrooms".

5 The High Street July 2010
5 The High Street July 2010