Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clophill > 4 High Street Clophill

4 High Street Clophill

The Old Forge - 4 High Street March 2010
The Old Forge - 4 High Street March 2010

4 High Street is appropriately named The Old Forge, as it used to be a blacksmith's house and business premises. The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 4 High Street [DV1/C288/78] noted that it was owned and occupied by village blacksmith Arthur Cakebread.

The brick and slate detached premises comprised a parlour, living room, scullery and pantry downstairs with two "good" bedrooms above. Domestic buildings lying outside were a brick and slate barn and brick and slate earth closet. Buildings connected with the blacksmith's business comprised a brick, corrugated iron and thatch range with two rooms used as stores, a forge with a hand drill measuring 12 feet 6 inches by 18 feet and a shoeing shed. There were also two weather-boarded and tiled stores. The valuer commented: "Cramped for room" and "advertising hoarding - in patches all over it".