Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Clophill > 2 Mill Lane Clophill

2 Mill Lane Clophill

2 Mill Lane March 2010
2 Mill Lane March 2010

2 Mill Lane was listed by English Heritage in January 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. They dated the cottage to about 1700 and the later 18th century, restored in the 20th century. The building is of timber-framed construction with red brick infill. The east gable is pebbledashed and the west gable end encased in brick. The main block has a clay tiled roof, the later block being thatched.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed as to its rateable value. Clophill was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 2 Mill Lane found that it was divided into two cottages [DV1/C46/145-146]. The brick, timber and tiled cottage was owned by A. E. Sanders.

Half the structure was let to J. Everitt, who had paid £6/10/- per annum in rent before the Great War and, in 1927, paid £8 per annum. Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen downstairs with a thatched washhouse and two bedrooms in the roof.  Outside stood two weather-boarded and tiled barns, a weather-boarded and corrugated iron earth closet and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron hen house.

The other half of the structure was made of brick and thatched. It was leased to J. Webb who had paid 5 shillings a week before the Great War but now also paid £8 per annum in rent. This accommodation comprised just a living room downstairs with two bedrooms in the roof. A weather-boarded and tiled barn and a weather-boarded and corrugated iron earth closet stood outside. This half of the building was named The Nook.