Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Keysoe > The Elms Keysoe

The Elms Keysoe

The Elms October 2016
The Elms October 2016

The Elms was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to about 1700; it is timber-framed, with some colour-washed plaster infill and some colour-washed rough cast covering and a thatched roof. The structure comprises one storey and attics. There is a 20th century extension at a right angle to the north.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the property [DV1/C211/143] found that it was owned by J Stewart and occupied by E Stapleton and contained three living rooms, a kitchen and a dairy with three bedrooms above. The rent was £30 per annum for the cottage, field and farm buildings.

A grass field contained 9.696 acres. Farm buildings comprised: a plaster, wood and tiled granary and two loose boxes; a wood and slate cart shed, barn and loose box; a wood and tiled cow house for three with two pigsties and a brick and corrugated iron root house and hen house. The valuer commented: “Good, two ranges”.