Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Keysoe > Summer Song Keysoe

Summer Song Keysoe

Summer Song March 2016
Summer Song March 2016

The cottage now known as Summer Song was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to the 18th century; it is constructed of cob, a mixture of clay, lime and a bonding agent such as straw, which has been covered in roughcast and then colour-washed; there is a thatched roof. The cottage comprises two storeys.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C211/65] found that it was owned and occupied by F Brown. It comprised a small reception room, a living room, a kitchen and pantry with two bedrooms upstairs. A wood, tiled and thatched coal house and wood barn and a wood and slated store barn with a loft over stood outside.