Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Keysoe > The Cottage Pertenhall Road Keysoe

The Cottage Pertenhall Road Keysoe

The Cottage March 2016
The Cottage March 2016

The cottage which is today called, quite reasonably, The Cottage, was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It is semi-detached to a much later building which is not part of the listing, the only listed part is the original single storey-with-attics cottage with the thatched roof. The listing dates it to the 17th century and it is timber-framed with colour-washed roughcast render.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C213/8] found it was owned and occupied by Mrs S Barrett. It comprised a living room and kitchen and two bedrooms above. A wood barn, two hen houses and a pigsty stood outside.

Planning permissions were sought in 1992. One was to change the use of some stables to a farrier’s workshop [BorBTP/92/0854], the other was to extend the cottage [BorBTP/90/0274/LB].