Meeting Cottage Keysoe
Meeting Cottage March 2016
Meeting Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates it to the 18th century; it is timber-framed with colour-washed roughcast render, though a gable end is in red brick. The roof is thatched and the cottage comprises two storeys. There is a 20th century flat-roofed extension at the rear. The cottage is presumably named from the old Baptist meeting which stands opposite.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C213/1] found that it was owned and occupied by J Stapleton.
The cottage comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A wood and thatched store barn and a pigsty and two wood and tiled pigsties all lay outside. The valuer commented: “Nice. Double-front. Done up”.