Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Keysoe > Kylemore Cottage Keysoe

Kylemore Cottage Keysoe

Kylemore Cottage lies some considerable distance from the centre of Keysoe in Hardwick End. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1977, when it was called Park Farm Cottages, as Grade II, of special ineterst.

The building dates from the 16th century “with later alterations”. It has a timber-framed construction, with some plaster infill, some brick casing, and some rough-cast, the whole thing being colourwashed except for some exposed timbering to the north-east wing. The roof is thatched. Originally the building was an hall with a cross-wing, all open to the roof. A first floor was inserted in the 17th century to form a cottage of one storey with attics.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Park Farm found the cottages [DV1/A11/19a-20]  were owned by A E Hartop. The cottages were occupied by farm workers and split north and south. The northern half was occupied by E Ruff and comprised a living room, a scullery and two bedrooms. The southern section was identical and occupied by J Woolston. Hubert George Woolston of Park Farm Cottages died on 17th February 1938 and was buried at Keysoe Brook End Baptist church [X715/34].