Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Keysoe > Chapel House Keysoe

Chapel House Keysoe

Chapel House March 2016
Chapel House March 2016

The Chapel House, as the name suggests, was owned by the trustees of the Keysoe Row Baptist chapel. It was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century, though re-fronted in the 20th century and is built of chequered brickwork, now colour-washed, over a timber frame, with a thatched roof. It comprises one storey and attics.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C213/51] found it occupied by W Woodward who paid the chapel trustees no rent as he was the chapel caretaker.

The property comprised a living room, a kitchen and a parlour and had two bedrooms upstairs. A wood and tiled stable for one horse and a store barn both stood outside.