Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Kensworth > Grape Cottage Kensworth

Grape Cottage Kensworth

Grape Cottage January 2013
Grape Cottage January 2013

Grape Cottage was listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. It dates from the 17th century and is timber-framed with colourwashed roughcast on the front elevation. The timber framing at the sides and rear has colourwashed brick infill. The cottage comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Kensworth, like most of the county, was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the cottage [DV1/C110/99] found that it was owned by W. Rixon and was vacant, like a number of cottages in the village at this date.

Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and a scullery with three bedrooms and a boxroom above. A weather-boarded and tiled barn stood outside. The valuer noted: “Was 2 cottages”. He also commented: “Gate locked, cannot measure a small part of the house”.