Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Kensworth > 12 Common Road Kensworth

12 Common Road Kensworth

12 Common Road Jaunary 2013
12 Common Road Jaunary 2013

12 Common Road is an attractive old property. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for 12 Common Road [HER 6908] notes that the cottage is 17th or 18th century in origin, though with modern extensions at the side and rear. It comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof. It was originally timber-framed and some of this is exposed, with brick infill, on the right hand wall. The frontage is 19th century brick which has been colourwashed.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Kensworth, like much of the county, was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting the property found that it was owned by C. Carter.

The house was in the occupation of E. Evans who paid rent of £10 per annum, which included an adjoining orchard of a quarter of an acre. Living accommodation comprised a reception room, a living room and a scullery with two bedrooms and an attic above. Outside stood a weather-boarded and slated stable with two stalls and a wood and corrugated iron cart shed. The valuer commented: “Very nice, well worth £14” [per annum rent].