Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Goldington > The Manor of Newnham

The Manor of Newnham

Volume III of The Victoria County History for Bedfordshire was published in 1912 and gives accounts of all the various manors in Goldington. The Manor of Newnham is first recorded after the dissolution of the monasteries under Henry VIII (1509-1547). From its name it seems it was originally held by Newnham Priory, which was dissolved in 1541. The manor was annexed to the Honour of Ampthill by Henry VIII.

 Arms of the Dukes of Bedford
Arms of the Dukes of Bedford

In 1650 the Parliamentary Commissioners for Bedfordshire surveyed all the Crown property in the county. They calculated that the quit-rents of this manor were worth £6/5/8 per annum. In 1806 Samuel Lyson’s Magna Britannia volume for Bedfordshire states that the manor was leased to the Duke of Bedford and, indeed, there are 18th century manorial documents in the archive of the dukes [R6/1/1, 1/3, 1/12 etc] There is no mention of the manor after 1881.