Skip Navigation

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Goldington > Goldington Vicarages

Goldington Vicarages


The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for Goldington Vicarage [HER 14504] gives the site as today’s 2 Cricket Lane.

The earliest reference to the parsonage to survive dates from 1708 when a terrier was compiled of land and buildings owned by the Archdeaconry of Bedford [ABE II Volume 1 page 31]. The building had four bays and was built of timber with a tiled roof. The rooms downstairs comprised: the parlour, with a boarded floor; the hall with a brick floor; the kitchen with a brick floor; the pantry with a brick floor and the cellar also with a brick floor. Four chambers, boarded and ceiled, lay upstairs. Two timber-built and thatched barns, each of two bays, stood outside along with a stable and a Brewhouse, also of two bays each.

The Northampton Mercury of 7th March 1785 noted that the vicarage was to be let, it ws described as: “consisting of two Parlours in Front, with a Kitchen, Dairy, good Cellar, and five Bed-Chambers; together with a Barn, Stable and other convenient Out Houses; also an handsome Garden & well-planted Orchard adjoining to the Premises, with the Church-Yard”.

“The Situation is very eligible, fronting a beautiful Green, a navigable River running at a small Distance, and within one Mile of the Town of Bedford”. Prospective renters were to apply to Thomas Hornbuckle, vicar from 1766 to 1794, who looks as if he was non-resident.

The Bedfordshire Mercury of 14th November 1863 had an notice requesting tenders to James Horsford, architect, for: “taking down and rebuilding part of the vicarage house at Goldington”. The Ely Diocesan archive at Cambridge University Library has parsonage papers which include a “mostly new” vicarage in 1864 [EDR/G3/40 MGA/BED/36]. They also have papers for alterations and additions to the vicarage in 1882 [EDR/G3/40 MGA/BED/72].

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the Vicarage [DV1/C228/84] ntes that it occupied 1.178 acres and comprised: a small entrance hall, a study measuring 19 feet 6 inches by 14 feet 6 inches, a pantry, a kitchen measuring 13 feet by 16 feet, a scullery, a larder, a dining room measuring 14 feet 9 inches, by 18 feet and a nursery. Upstairs was a WC, a drawing room measuring 15 feet by 18 feet, two single bedrooms, a double bedroom over the study and measuring 19 feet 6 inches by 14 feet 6 inches, a maids’ room “for two”, a bathroom (“was bedroom”) and a boot room. Outside was a coal place or small trap house, another coal place, a lumber place, a wood barn and an earth closet. There was a tennis court and a large kitchen garden but “no grounds”. The vicarage had electric light laid on, water from Biggleswade and cesspool drainage.

This vicarage was demolished when the modern houses in Cricket Lane were being built after World War Two. The present vicarage is in Church Lane.