42 to 46 Lynch Hill Kensworth
42 to 46 Lynch Hill January 2013
42 to 46 Lynch Hill were listed by the former Department of Environment in September 1980 as Grade II, of special interest. They date from the 19th century and are built of brick which has been colourwashed. They comprise two storeys under slate roofs.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Kensworth, like most of the county, was largely valued in 1927. The valuer visiting 42 to 46 Lynch Hill, or Hawthorn Cottages as they were then known, found they were owned by G. Woodman.
The tenants, all paying rent of 3/6 per week, were: M. Allison at Number 42 [DV1/C110/119]; Miss L. Stokes at 44 [DV1/C110/118] and E. Carter at 46 [DV1/C110/117]. Each tenant had identical accommodation: a reception room and kitchen downstairs with two bedrooms above. Outside each stood a brick and slate barn (“rotten condition”) and a brick and slate earth closet.
In 1943 the Kensworth Estate, which must have bought the cottages from Woodman, or his successor in title, was put up for sale by auction. The sale particulars [BML10/38/11] note that the cottages were called Hawthorn Cottages. Numbers 42 and 44 were occupied as one by L. Hughes whose rent was 9/6 per week for three bedrooms, three living rooms, a scullery, a barn and a pail closet. Number 46 was in the occupation of J. A. W. Collins whose rent was seven shillings per week for two bedrooms, a living room, a “small room”, a scullery, a pantry, a barn and a pail closet. “The Water Supply is from a Well … The Greenhouse is the property of the Tenant”.