Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Northern Part of Knolls View in 1840

Northern Part of Knolls View in 1840

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater/Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1840 [BW1006] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Of most interest, perhaps, is that fact that each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps.

The northern part of Knolls View in 1840 [BW1006a]

The northern part of Knolls View in 1840 [BW1006a]

 

The former Dukes Head January 2010

  • 170. Duke's Head Public House, offices, etc.; 23 poles; owned by Edward Burr [of Luton, brewer]; occupied by Thomas Horton;

Mapsedge January 2010

  • 172. House, outbuildings, yard and garden; 1 rood, 8 poles; owned by Ann Fossey; occupied by Thomas Snoxell [Mapsedge now stands on part of this site].