Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Totternhoe > Northern Part of Knolls View in 1829

Northern Part of Knolls View in 1829

Historians of Totternhoe are lucky in that two detailed maps showing the Bridgewater, later Brownlow Estate survive for the early 19th century. The map of 1829 [BW1004] has a reference book detailing all the land holdings on the estate. Each house in the village is marked, together with a description of the area of the property and the name of the person who inhabited it, whether or not the property was owned by the Estate. The numbers below tie in with the numbers on the maps. 

The northern part of Knolls View in 1829 [BW1004]

The northern part of Knolls View in 1829 [BW1004]

The former Dukes Head January 2010

  • 170: Duke's Head Public House, barn, yard, garden and orchard; owned by Mr. Burr [Luton brewer]; occupied by Thomas Pratt; 2 roods, 26 poles [26 Knolls View];

Mapsedge January 2010

  • 172: House, yard, buildings, garden and orchard: owned by Miss Fossey; occupied by Thomas Snoxell; 1 acre, 1 pole [Mapsedge now on the site].