Carlton School in 1904
This page was contributed by Pamela Hider
Bedfordshire County Council became Local Education Authority for the county in 1903, following the Education Act 1902. In 1904 the County Surveyor reported on the condition of all the council and voluntary schools in the county under LEA control, excluding those on Bedford and Luton Boroughs which had their own executive arrangements [reference E/SA2/1/1]. The information given in the Surveyor’s report for Carlton was as follows:
The building was described as 'stone built and tiled, not of modern design'. Dimensions of the classrooms were:
Main School Room: 35ft x 16 1/2 ft x 11 1/2ft sloping to 15ft high;
Infants Room: 16ft x 15 1/2ft with the same sloping height.
'Main Room ... not too well lighted by three-light casement windows, having centre light hung. There is no other ventilation. Warmed by an open fire, boarded floor is good, cupboard in front wall very damp. An exhaust Ventilator and four Tobin Tubes are needed here. Walls and ceiling are very fair. Painted dado is damaged. A new pitch-pine bell turret has been recently erected'.
'Class Room (Infants)...shut off from the Main Room by a framed wood and half glazed partition, the doorway through which is only 5'6" high. The window in this room is loftier, having four of the eight lights hung for opening. This is warmed by a Tortoise Stove and stove pipe and is in fair condition'.
'Front Lobby and Cloakroom - 8' x 9' x 7'6" sloping to 12'6". This is a new structure chiefly of wood and tiled. It is in fair condition'.
'Back Lobby - 10' x 6' x 6'6". This is very poor, low and badly lighted. It needs repairs. No water basins are provided'.
'Offices (toilets) - These are common privies close up to the school, they are very offensive; and should be made into Earth Closets. A new four-stall slate urinal and iron enamelled channel has just been fitted here. No water is provided. These offices need cleansing'.