Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community Histories > Stotfold > Primitive Methodists in Stotfold

Primitive Methodists in Stotfold

A small group of Primitive Methodists had first met in Stotfold as early as 1845. Their first chapel was erected in Chapel Yard in 1848 and the premises was registered for worship by John Guy between 12th September and 7th October 1848 [ref: ABN2/398]. The new chapel in Brook Street was built in 1869 at a cost of £1,400 as the chapel had become too small. A Sunday School was built in 1909. This building was closed for public worship in May 1973 and the members amalgamated with the former Wesleyan church in High Street, Stotfold. The organ from Brook Street was transferred to Arlesey and the chapel demolished for housing development. During the early period of its existence, it appears that this chapel was associated with Biggleswade Methodist circuit.

Ecclesiastical Census

On Sunday 30th March 1851 a census of all churches, chapels and preaching-houses of every denomination was undertaken in England and Wales. The local results were published by Bedfordshire Historical Records Society in 1975 as Volume 54, edited by D. W. Bushby. The return for Stotfold Primitive Methodist church noted the following pieces of information:

  • The church had 110 sittings (60 free, 50 other).
  • The general congregation had been 100 in the afternoon, 110 in the evening.

List of sources at Bedfordshire Archives: 

  • ABN2/398: Application by John Guy of Baldock, to register a Chapel in occupation of Thomas Marriott and George How as 'trustees for the Primative Methodist connexion' at in the parish of Stotfold, 1848
  • MB2/STT1/3/3080: Stotfold Brook Street Chapel Account Book, 1848-1919
  • MB2/STT1/7/3081: Sunday School Account Book, 1867-1941
  • MB2/STT1/3/3082: Treasurers accounts and minutes, 1895-1915
  • MB2/STT1/3/3083: Collection Journal., 1899-1933
  • Z1306/115/4/3: 'Brook Street, Stotfold', shows chapel in far distance, 1910
  • Z1306/115/4/4: 'Brook Street, Stotfold', shows chapel in far distance, 1939
  • MB2/STT1/7/3084 & 3086: Sunday School Minute Books, 1912-1962
  • MB2/STT1/7/3085: Sunday School Attendance Register, 1922-1924
  • MB2/STT1/1/328: Marriage Register for Stotfold: Brook Street, 1958-1973
  • MB2/STT1/10/3087: Stotfold, Brook Street.  Notes about the Chapel (c. 1880 – 1920).  Written by Mrs Eva Howard, 1966
  • MB2/STT1/5/3088-91: Photographs from the last service at Stotfold, Brook Street Chapel, 1973
  • MB2/STT1/5/3092: Stotfold, Brook Street. Order of service, 1992