Thackit Eaves - 1 Northill Road Ickwell
Thackit Eaves - 1 Northill Road March 2010
Thackit Eaves was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 18th century. It is constructed of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame with a thatched roof and a main block of one storey and attics, with a one storey and attics block projecting from rear. Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service has plans for extension and alteration to the house drawn up in 1968 [X404/11]
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Ickwell was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 1 Northill Road found it was then divided into two properties. The building was owned by A. J. Odell and the northern section was occupied by Charles Brunt [DV1/C44/115] who paid four shillings per week as he worked for Odell. Accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and pantry with three bedrooms above. The thatch was described as “fair”. Outside lay a washhouse, a barn and an earth closet.
The other portion of the structure was occupied by C. Buck [DV1/C44/114] who also worked for Odell. His accommodation comprised a living room, kitchen and one bedroom. The thatch on this side was described as “very poor”. A washhouse (“good, brick and slate”), barn and earth closet stood outside. Both premises had a small garden and water came from an outside tap.