7 Warden Road Ickwell
7 Warden Road March 2010
7 Warden Road was listed by the former Department of Environment in March 1985 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the property to the 17th century. It has a timber framed construction with colour washed plaster infill, a
thatched roof, hipped at the south end, one storey and attics, with a later single storey bay added to the south, producing the hip in the roof. A 20th century one storey and attics bay was also added to the north end.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Ickwell was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 7 Warden Road [DV1/C44/90] found it owned and occupied by Charles William Shelton, who also owned 5 Warden Road next door. He was a motor engineer and his property reflected that.
Accommodation comprised a living room and kitchen with two bedrooms above. A washhouse and earth closet stood outside. There was a small garden and water came from an outside tap.
His business premises comprised a brick, wood and corrugated iron shop (“poor, no real show”), garage and workshop with two lofts over, four structures measuring 33 feet by 20 feet, 17 feet by 14 feet, 27 feet by 18 feet and 20 feet 6 inches by 20 feet respectively, a wood and corrugated iron shed measuring 36 feet by 18 feet with a five horsepower oil engine and a circular saw and two petrol pumps (one B.P. the other Shell) with a five hundred gallon tank .