10 and 11 Ickwell Green April 2009
10 and 11 Ickwell Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the properties to the 17th century, with substantial reworking in the 19th century. They have a timber framed structure, later encased in red brick, with a clay tile roof, one storey and attics. The right hand room was added in the 19th century.
The cottages may have been built by the Lord of the Manor of Ickwell or have been a later acquisition by the manorial estate – the Ickwell Bury Estate. The estate was sold at auction in 1924 and the sale particulars [AD1147/16] describe this pair of cottages in the same lot as 8 and 9 Ickwell Green, thus:
Holding .. .. Four Cottages and Gardens on Ickwell Green
Lessees .. .. Rev. G. L. DEUCHARS and F. T. DAVIES, Esq.
Area .. .. About 0 acres, 2 roods, 12 poles
Tenancy .. .. Lease for 8½ Years from March 25th, 1920.
Two Pairs of Semi-detached Cottages and Bakehouse, with Good Gardens
occupying an open position facing Ickwell Green.
Each Cottage contains four Rooms with Out Offices and GoodGarden.
The north pair, 8 and 9, were occupied by G. Course and a Mr. Wikins and the southern pair, 10 and 11, were occupied by a Mr. George and “Nurses” presumably working at Horton Preparatory School at Ickwell Bury, the school being run by Deuchars and Davies.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Ickwell was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 10 and 11 Ickwell Green [DV1/C44/104-105] found both owned by Rev. George Lindsay Deuchars.
Number 10 was occupied by Ernest Wilkins who paid no rent as he was in Deuchars’ employ. His accommodation comprised a living room and combined kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above. A washhouse, coal house, wood house and earth closet stood outside.
Number 11 was occupied by George Course, no rent being stated in the valuer’s notebook. Accommodation comprised a living room and combined kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above, just like next door. A coal house, wood house and earth closet lay outside. Both properties had a small garden and water was obtained from an outside tap. The valuer noted that Deuchars had purchased numbers 8 to 11 Ickwell Green in 1924 for £425.