8 and 9 Ickwell Green
8 and 9 Ickwell Green April 2009
8 and 9 Ickwell Green were listed by the former Department of Environment in October 1966 as Grade II, of special interest. The department dated the pair of cottages to the 17th century with later reworking and additions. They have a timber
framed construction with red brick casing and a clay tile roof. The left hand room is a later brick addition. The structure comprises one storey and attics.
The cottages may have been built by the Lord of the Manor of Ickwell, or may have been subsequently acquired by the manorial estate. This estate, The Ickwell Bury Estate, was sold at auction in 1924. The sale particulars [AD1147/16] had both 8 and 9 and 10 and 11 in the same lot. The particulars read as follows:
Holding .. .. Four Cottages and Gardens on Ickwell Green
Lessees .. .. Rev. G. L. DEUCHARS and F. T. DAVIES, Esq.
Area .. .. About 0 acres, 2 roods, 12 poles
Tenancy .. .. Lease for 8½ Years from March 25th, 1920.
Two Pairs of Semi-detached Cottages and Bakehouse, with Good Gardens
occupying an open position facing Ickwell Green.
Each Cottage contains four Rooms with Out Offices and GoodGarden.
The north pair, 8 and 9, were occupied by G. Course and a Mr. Wikins and the southern pair, 10 and 11, were occupied by a Mr. George and “Nurses” presumably working at Horton Preparatory School at Ickwell Bury, the school being run by Deuchars and Davies.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Ickwell was assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting 8 and 9 Ickwell Green [DV1/C44/106-107] found them owned by Rev. George Lindsay Deuchars who occupied Number 8 whilst Number 9 was occupied by Leonard George who paid rent of £8 per annum which had been set in 1922.
Number 8 comprised a living room, kitchen and scullery with two bedrooms above. A coal shed and earth closet lay outside along with a small garden. Water came from an outside tap. Number 9 comprised a living room, kitchen, scullery, pantry and disused bakehouse used as a store with two bedrooms above. The valuer noted that Deuchars had purchased numbers 8 to 11 Ickwell Green in the 1924 auction for £425.
Numbers 8 and 9 Ickwell Green April 2009