6 Northill Road Cople
6 Northill Road July 2010
Hiding behind its leylandii and tall hedges one could be forgiven for dismissing 6 Northill Road as a modern house. Nothing could be further from the truth. It was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th and 19th centuries. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame with a 20th century tiled roof. A lean-to addition stands to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 6 Northill Road [DV1/C49/140 found that the property was owned by E. G. Hart and occupied by George Thompson, who paid rent of £24 per annum for a parlour, living room, kitchen and scullery with three bedrooms above. Outside stood two piggeries, an open shed, two cow houses and two store places though these were “poor, not used”. Overall the valuer commented: “Very old”.