47 Northill Road Cople
47 Northill Road July 2010
47 Northill Road was listed by English Heritage in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 18th century. It is built of colour washed roughcast over a timber frame and has a thatched roof. The cottage comprises a single storey with attics above and has 20th century extensions to the rear.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the countyCople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 47 Northill Road [DV1/C49/48] found that the property (which had the same number then, as today, unlike the other houses in the village) was owned by the trustees of the Shuttleworth estate of Old Warden. The occupier was P. Sinfield who paid rent of 4/10, presumably per week, though the occupier did not say. Accommodation comprised a parlour, living room, scullery and pantry downstairs with two bedrooms above.