5 Northill Road Cople
5 Northill Road July 2010
5 Northill Road was listed by English Heritage in May 1984 as Grade II, of special interest. The property dates from the 17th century. It is timber framed with a pebble dashed exterior and now has a clay tiled roof. The building has a single storey with attics and originally comprised two rooms in each.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Like most of the county Cople was assessed in 1927. The valuer visiting 5 Northill Road [DV1/C49/39] found that the property, then numbered 37 The Village, was owned by Mrs. Fitch and occupied by F. Wheeler who paid rent of fourteen shillings per month. The plaster and thatched cottage comprised a parlour and a living room downstairs with three bedrooms above. An old barn stood outside. The valuer commented: “Awful state”.
5 Northill Road and the Five Bells July 2010