Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Keysoe > Temple Farm Keysoe

Temple Farm Keysoe

 Doddshole Farm on a map of 1901
Doddshole Farm on a map of 1901

Temple Farmhouse, which used to be called Doddshole Farm and stands east of Wybridge, was listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates the cottage to the 17th century; it is timber-framed with roughcast render, some of which has been replaced by chequered brick, and a thatched roof. The house comprises one storey and attics and has a 19th century one storey brick and pantiled addition to the rear.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting Dodshole Farm [DV1/H41/4] found it owned and occupied by J W Flute. Rent had been £32 per annum in 1914 and £57 per annum in 1919. The small farm contained 17½ acres in 1914 but was now up to 32 acres. A colleague of the valuer commented: “bar lane nice holding. 29 acres all coming to Flute 29/9/27”.

The farmhouse had two reception rooms, a living room, a kitchen, a dairy, a cellar and a washhouse with three bedroom upstairs. The valuer noted: “Wing to kitchen quarters”. A privy stood outside. The dilapidated wood, tile and thatch farm buildings comprised: a meal place; a hen house; a three-bay implement shelter; a hay and chaff barn; a stable; three double pig pens; a loose box; a bullock place for five beasts with a calf pen; a calf barn and a two-bay implement hovel.

In 1958 the farmhouse along with 12.85 acres was conveyed by Agnes Flute, widow to farmer Cyril Taylor of Clifton Reynes [Buckinghamshire]. Agnes moved into a cottage erected near the farm [Z1087/1/10/1].