Glen Cottage and Wayside Keysoe
Glen Cottage March 2016
Glen Cottage and Wayside are a semi-detached pair of cottages which were listed by the former Department of Environment in August 1983 as Grade II, of special interest. The listing dates them to about 1700; they are both timber-framed – Glen Cottage is covered with colour-washed roughcast and Wayside has colour-washed plaster infill. Both have thatched roofs and comprise a single storey.
Pair of cottages. Circa 1700. Colour washed rough cast over timber frame to Glen Cottage, timber frame with colour washed plaster infill to Wayside. Thatched roof. 2 bays each cottage, one storey. Red brick double ridge stack at divide. Casements to Glen Cottage, 2-light horizontal sash and a fixed light to Wayside. C20 doors to both, Wayside with C20 gabled porch.
The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. The valuer visiting the pair of cottages found that they were both owned by G Brown. The owner lived in today’s Wayside [DV1/C211/5] which comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms. Two weather-boarded and thatched store barns, two weather-boarded and corrugated iron pigsties and a store barn (“good”) all stood outside.
Next door [DV1/C211/6] was in occupation of G R Rolls, whose rent was two shillings per week. Accommodation comprised a living room, a kitchen and two bedrooms.
Wayside March 2016