Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Kensworth > Sources for Education in Kensworth

Sources for Education in Kensworth

Kensworth VC Lower School sign March 2012
Kensworth VC Lower School sign March 2012

The following list gives all the sources relating to education in Silsoe held by Bedfordshire and Luton Archives and Records Service. Due to the terms of the Data Protection Act records containing personal details of living individuals will be closed in total, or in part, depending on the nature of the information.

  • Bedfordshire Times: the old chapel purchased for use as a British School: 25th March 1848;
  • CRT120/40: notes on the National School;
  • P34/25/0a: trust deed from Richard and Mary Brugis establishing the Brugis Charity: 1754;
  • P34/25/3-4: appointment of new Brugis Charity trustees: 1777;
  • P34/29/1: school minute book: 1853-1893;
  • P34/25/18: consideration of putting Brugis Charity children into the new National School: 1853;
  • P34/29/38: H. M. Inspector’s report: 1862;
  • P34/25/19: list of children at the school on charity: 1863;
  • P34/29/4: schedule of grants to be paid to the school: 1864-1904;
  • P34/29/4: H. M. Inspector’s reports: 1864-1911;
  • P34/25/20: letter regarding school attendance: 1865;
  • P34/29/2: printed accounts: 1867;
  • P34/25/22: list of Brugis Charity children at the school: 1867;
  • P34/1/6: printed accounts: 1868-1869;
  • P34/25/26: list of Brugis Charity children at the school: 1870;
  • P34/8/2: exemption of the school from rates and completion of the teacher’s house: 1871;
  • P34/29/3: plan of the teacher’s house: 1871;
  • Micf. 38/5: microfilmed logbooks: 1880-1950;
  • P34/29/40: school managers’ minutes: 1893-1903;
  • P34/29/45: bank passbook: 1893-1906;
  • P34/29/5: reports on religious instruction: 1893-1913;
  • P34/29/13: H. M. Inspector’s instructions regarding their annual inspection visit: 1893-1910;
  • P34/5/2: printed accounts: 1894-1911;
  • P34/25/7: agreement appointing Emma Thomas as a pupil teacher: 1895;
  • P34/25/11: accounts: 1895-1913;
  • P34/25/16: receipted school bills: 1895-1896;
  • P34/29/15: correspondence regarding pupil teacher examination dates: 1896-1984;
  • P34/25/17: receipted school bills: 1896-1897;
  • P34/25/8: agreement appointing Beatrice F. May as a pupil teacher: 1897;
  • P34/29/14: correspondence regarding building work: 1897-1911;
  • P34/25/18: receipted school bills: 1897-1898;
  • P34/29/36: specifications for extension of infants’ room and cloakroom: 1898;
  • P34/25/19: receipted school bills: 1898;
  • P34/25/20: receipted school bills: 1898-1899;
  • Z883/9-13: photographs of school groups: c. 1898-1921;
  • P34/29/6: detailed accounts: 1899-1918;
  • P34/25/21: receipted school bills: 1899;
  • P34/25/22: receipted school bills: 1899-1900;
  • P34/25/23: receipted school bills: 1900;
  • P34/25/24: receipted school bills: 1900-1901
  • P34/25/25: receipted school bills: 1901;
  • P34/29/9: agreement appointing Edith Hart as a pupil teacher: 1902;
  • P34/25/26: receipted school bills: 1902;
  • P34/25/27: receipted school bills: 1902-1903;
  • P34/25/28: receipted school bills: 1902;
  • P34/25/29: receipted school bills: 1903;
  • E/SA3/1/2: managers’ and inspectors’ reports to the new LEA: 1903;
  • P34/29/12: correspondence with the school managers: 1903-1913;
  • P34/29/43: cash book: 1903-1943;
  • P34/29/41: school managers’ minute book: 1903-1949;
  • P34/29/30: estimate for works on the school: 1904;
  • E/TE5/3: details of teachers: 1904-1908;
  • P34/29/30-31: estimates for work needing to be done: 1904-1908;
  • P34/29/37: specification for work on the school: 1905;
  • P34/29/31: proposed estimates for books and stationery: 1905-1908;
  • P34/29/46: bank passbook: 1907-1934;
  • E/TE5/4: details of teachers: 1908-1912;
  • P34/29/39: report on teaching staff: 1908;
  • Z883/21: photograph of the school house: c. 1910;
  • E/IN1/1: Inspector’s reports: 1911-1930;
  • P34/29/33: report on Alice Holland, caretaker and scavenger: 1915-1916;
  • P34/29/39: report on teaching staff: 1916;
  • P34/29/34: inventory of furniture and effects: 1929;
  • P34/29/47: bank passbook: 1934-1946;
  • P34/29/42: trustees’ minute book: 1944-1946;
  • P34/29/44: cash book: 1944-1949;
  • P34/29/48: trustee accounts: 1944-1951;
  • P34/29/35: proposed adaptation of rest centre as school canteen: 1948;
  • PCKensworth26/3: sale of allotment land for erection of additional classrooms and for sewerage purposes: 1950-1954;
  • PCKensworth26/1: block plans: 1952;
  • P34/29/50: report on religious instruction: 1952;
  • PCKensworth26/7: payment by the parish council for 0.651 acres occupied at the rear of the school: 1955;
  • PCKensworth26/2: correspondence regarding early opening each morning: 1957;
  • CA2/365: building file for a two classroom extension: c1960s-1970s;
  • CA2/441/3: building file on isolated classrooms: 1963-1974;
  • CA8/732: building maintenance file: 1966-1982;
  • PCKensworth26/4: release from restrictive covenant regarding land use: 1967;
  • PCKensworth26/6: correspondence regarding improvements and siting of a Gipsy caravan at the school: 1968-1971;
  • E/PM3/2/1: headmaster and teachers taking classes for Gipsy children during a strike by teachers: 1970;
  • SS/GT2/2: newspaper cutting regarding a new school caravan for Gipsies partly funded by John and Yoko Lennon: 1971-1972;
  • CCE3844/5: contract for the sale of land for school purposes: 1978;
  • E/TE3/3: return of teaching staff: 1981;
  • E/SA4/1/1: admission procedures: 1982;
  • E/TE2/2/L46: details of the school: 1983;
  • E/TE3/6: return of teaching staff: 1986;
  • PCKensworth26/5: correspondence regarding staff cuts: 1986;
  • E/MS3/2/4: kitchen and other details: c. 1987;
  • E/Pu4/4/136: school prospectus: 1995.