Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Kensworth > 22 Common Road Kensworth

22 Common Road Kensworth

A glimpse of 22 Common Road January 2013
A glimpse of 22 Common Road January 2013

22 Common Road is one of the older properties in Kensworth. The Bedfordshire Historic Environment Record [HER] contains information on the county’s historic buildings and landscapes and summaries of each entry can now be found online as part of the Heritage Gateway website. The entry for the cottage [HER 6909] dates the property to the 17th or 18th century though noting that it is “much altered”. It comprises two storeys beneath an old clay tiled roof. It has modern extensions at the sides and at the back. It was originally timber-framed and now has brick-infill between the timbers.

The Rating and Valuation Act 1925 specified that every building and piece of land in the country was to be assessed to determine its rateable value. Kensworth, like most of the county, was largely assessed in 1927 and the valuer visiting today’s 22 Common Road found that it was then divided into two properties [DV1/C110/87-88]. The building was owned by Miss E. Hall.

The dwelling in the western half of the building was vacant and comprised a reception room, a living room and a pantry, two bedrooms lay upstairs. Outside stood a weather-boarded and corrugated iron barn, a brick and tile earth closet, a weather-boarded and thatched barn and a brick and tile barn.

Next door was in the occupation of A. King who paid rent of £6 per annum for a reception room, a living room and a washhouse with two bedrooms above. Outside he had a brick and corrugated iron barn and a brick and tile earth closet.