Skip Navigation
 
 

Welcome to Bedford Borough Council

Home > Community archives > Goldington > The Bricklayers Arms Public House Goldington

The Bricklayers Arms Public House Goldington

Goldington brickworks
Goldington brickworks on a map of 1901

The Bricklayer's Arms Public House: Risinghoe

Very little information exists today about the Bricklayers Arms, other than early references to licensees. It is described as being at Risinghoe so clearly it was at the brickworks shown on the map above, in the area of today's Castle Dairy Farm. The last directory to mention the public house is the Post Office Directory of 1847. By the time of the next one, Craven and Company's Directory of 1853, John Green is stated to be: "foreman of brick yard, Castle Mill".

Sources:

  • CLP13: registers of ale house licences: 1822-1828;
  • PSB1/1: Bedford Petty Sessional Division minute book: 1829-1834;
  • PSB1/2: Bedford Petty Sessional Division minute book: 1835-1843;

Licensees: Note that this is not a complete list; italics indicate licensees whose beginning and/or end dates are not known:

1822 -1835: Samuel Trolley;
1835 -1844: Thomas Page;
1847: John Green