The Manor of Watkins
Volume III of the Victoria County History has accounts of each of the manors in Steppingley. The overlordship of this manor is first identified in the 16th century, when it was held by New College, Oxford. It was later purchased by the Crown and annexed to the Honour of Ampthill.
Watkins Manor originated in a grant of land in the 14th century by Walter de Steppingley to Henry Watkins. In 1512 William Jurdon died seized of it and it passed to George Hynton. In 1562 Hynton’s son sold the manor to John Style whose son held it in 1604, the last date at which it is mentioned.